Friday, October 19, 2012

Nomato Sauce

Another thing that gets taken out of your diet for the first while is salycilates. These are a naturally occurring acid that is in fruits and vegetables, and your aspirin. Think ASA. While there are many fruits and veggies that contain these the Feingold association has done research into which ones people have the most reactions too. You probably shouldn't Google it because the list I'm finding online is different then the one in my acceptable food list.

It seems that most people who can't handle the artificial in food can also not handle some salycilates. And every person is different. What one person reacts to will not be the same for the next person. So they recommend removing all of them for the first 6-8 weeks or until you see some calming down in your child. Then you are free to test them back in one at a time, slowly, to see which ones your child may or may not react to.

Some of the things that we have had to remove include: Oranges, Apples, Peppers, Cucumbers, Tomatoes, Grapes and Berries.

You know, all the things my kids love to eat.

I'm not sure which they miss the most, Apples or Tomatoes. Actually most of them don't miss tomatoes because they don't like them. But they miss things that you make out of tomatoes like pizza and spaghetti and lasagna. So last night I decided to try a new receipe on them and see what they thought.

There is several receipes out there for a Nomato sauce using beets. I'm actually wanting to try this one too but didn't think it would be the best for pizza. I think I'll try it with spaghetti or lasagna. On the Feingold website there is one though that uses Pomegranate juice instead of beets.


NO BEETS UN-TOMATO SAUCE

2 15-oz. cans carrots, drained
3/4 cup chicken broth
3/4 cup pomegranate juice
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. basil
2 tsp sugar

Put all ingredients in blender, and blend until smooth. Serve. (Or proceed to use in another recipe, such as for BBQ sauce).

You know what. It both tasted and smelled like pizza sauce. We very happily ate our pizza last night and am encouraged to do it again. I'm not sure how long the leftover Pomegranate juice will keep in my fridge though so I'm wondering about making more of this and canning it in pint size jars. Or not, juice keeps forever doesn't it?

Oh-I also just used fresh carrots. I cooked them and then mashed them. Are canned carrots mashed or whole? I've never bought them before.

And then later I thought hey, I have some leftover sauce why don't I try to make some 'ketchup' out of it. That was an epic failure. It actually tasted more like BBQ sauce then ketchup, and only if you weren't expecting your normal BBQ sauce. We put it on burgers for lunch today and it wasn't horrible. It just wasn't what our taste buds were expecting. I definitely thing I would do it different next time though.

Is it bad to pray that Judah or Aslynn don't have a reaction to tomatoes though and that I can just avoid this whole thing and cook like I use too?

No comments:

Post a Comment