Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The package arrives

When our package of material from Feingold arrived I immediently opened the Foodlist and shopping guide to look through what food was acceptable of the program. It didn't take me to many pages to realize that shopping was going to be a new experience. I recognized very few of the brand names.

Part of what the Feingold association does is to be continually contacting companies and asking them to fill out paperwork concerning their products. Feingold wants to know not only the ingredients, but the process and the packaging. Are there any perservatives used in the packaging? In the Processing? It's concerning what companies will try to hide. If something is used in packaging or processing then it is not considered a ingredient and therefore does not need to be included on the label as such.

Feingold recommends that you only shop for items from the foodlist, that way you know that they are a safe food because they have been researched. The problem is that many of the big name companies refuse to fill out paperwork. Apperently they are scared to reveal their ingredients because they don't want people to steal their receipes.

So I faced a book of safe food, but very little of it did I recognize.

I think I did 4 or 5 different shopping trips before I was even close to finding replacement items. It's a good thing that Judah is in school for two days a week because I spent every hour of those days at stores trying to find food.

There are things that I still haven't found and I'm thinking about phoning a 'Nutter's' store to see if they will order products in for me.  There is a great company in the states that you can order stuff from. The prices are low and the shipping is free. But only if you live in the States. When I tried to order things I discovered that the shipping would be more than the items themselves. That was a bit frustrating.

And you know it's surprising what things I needed to replace. Like milk. I guess when they add the vitamin B Parmalate to milk they can use BHA to add it. And that chemical can remain in the milk. So they recommend that you only use those kinds that  they have researched. As big of a city as I live near I could only find one acceptable brand here. And that's what we are stuck with.

Another thing that I found hard to find was chocolate chips. You know real ones without artifical flavour or fake Vanillin in them. I finally called a friend who owns a candy shop and asked what he used. I discovered that the company he orders from has a factory here in Edmonton. After a few phone calls I drove in one day and picked up some large boxes of chocolate chips. We won't talk about how much they cost.

I wanted to share some links with you for different sites I follow and read.

http://www.diefooddye.com/ - this is a blog by a mother who is doing Feingold for her family. It's pretty informative.

http://www.allergykids.com/blog/seeing-red/ - this is an article written by another mom concerning food dyes.

http://www.feingold.org/ - The Feingold website. It was a little scary reading through some of the symptoms helped and realize how many of them our kids have.

http://coalminecanaries.blogspot.ca/ - This is the blog of the lady who I first heard about Feingold from. I`ve never met her but she has been a big help though e-mail conversations. Although she doesn`t update this blog any more it`s also a good read of their back story with doing Feingold.

http://www.oatmealafterspinning.com/2012/08/19/the-feingold-diet-how-it-changed-our-lives-for-the-better/ -another blog entry

No comments:

Post a Comment